Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How Much Do You Know About Gaming Consoles?

I am guessing that games or a new gaming console may be on a Christmas list you have been given. I admit knowing next to nothing about these things except for what I hear in the chatter in the IT room here at MHS and what I read in the blogs I regularly check. I am learning a great deal in a post titled "Your living room's new "black box"" in today's blog from MediaSmarts.

There is valuable information on such things as the features of gaming consoles (internet connection, built-in cameras, account requirements that allow players to participate in social networks as part of the gaming experience). They also stress the importance of working with the rating system. There is a link to Understanding the Video Game Rating System in the article (it is a pdf document that may download or your computer or open in a new browser tab).

No matter the age of your gamers, it sounds like it is very important to work with them in setting up the game system and learning about and evaluating the features available. It appears that there is a lot of room for customization of the system for your family's needs. As I indicated in an early post to this blog, making this a family activity can be both fun and educational for all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment